Since today is Dr. McEathron’s birthday- it’s appropriate to communicate more of his tips to slow down age-related vision changes in your eyes.
Eat healthy now – see long term benefits!
Choosing to eat healthy can have a long term impact on your eye health and therefore your age-related vision changes. And, the good news is it certainly goes beyond carrots. Antioxidants and other specific vitamins nutrients can reduce your risk of cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma. Furthermore, omega-3 essential fatty acids also help alleviate dry eyes and guards against macular damage.
Here are the main vitamins and nutrients that help protect our eyes:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Essential fatty acids
- Beta carotene
Food sources that have high content of the above nutrients:
- Sweet potatoes
For an extra boost – vitamins!
In addition to food sources, there are many supplements on the market that promote eye health and help prevent age-related vision changes. For example, for individuals at higher risk of eye disease, especially with family history of macular degeneration or glaucoma, Dr. McEathron certainly recommends adding an eye health supplement to your daily routine. There are many such supplements on the market. However, the supplement should provide at minimum the following for maximum effectiveness as a result:
- vitamin C (250 to 500 mg)
- vitamin E (400 IU)
- zinc (25 to 40 mg)
- copper (2 mg)
- vitamin B complex that also contains 400 mcg of folic acid
- omega-3 fatty acids (2,000 mg)
Finally, after researching and evaluating several brands of eye health vitamins, we chose to offer Biosyntrx to our patients at our office. Furthermore, they have three formulations:
- BioTears – support for dry eyes, is also rich in omega 6 essential fatty acids.
- Eye and Body Complete – includes a broad spectrum of 43 ingredients that consequently eliminates the need for an additional general multi-vitamin supplement.
- Oculair – rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, specifically targeting eye health but also with whole body benefits.
In conclusion, taking care of your eyes and entire body now through proper nutrition will give substantial benefits as each birthday passes as a result! Stay tuned for more tips on how to beat those age-related vision changes!