Locally Owned in Downtown Bellingham Since 1934
Dr. James R. Binyon opened the first Binyon Optical Company in 1911 on First Avenue in Seattle. He went on to open several other offices in Everett, Tacoma, Spokane, Richland, Yakima, Bremerton and Bellingham, which opened in 1934. At one time, it was estimated one of every three Washington families wore glasses dispensed by Binyon Optometrists. Today there are three remaining operating clinics with the Binyon name, operating independently.
The Binyon office in Bellingham has always operated out of downtown- on Holly, Cornwall, Railroad Avenue and since 1993 on the corner of Garden and Magnolia Street. In 1951, Dr. Binyon sent his nephew Dr. LeRoy Freeman to practice in the Bellingham office. He owned the practice until his passing in 1985. Dr. Mark McEathron joined the practice in 1980 became the owner in 1985. In 1992, the practice moved three blocks east on Magnolia to the former Pietro’s Pizza. The new location offers over 1,000 square feet dedicated to the frames displays and off-street parking.
Binyon Vision Center has thrived in downtown Bellingham, continuing a longstanding tradition of outstanding full optometric care and staying on the cutting edge of all advancements related to vision and eyewear. We enjoy being a member of Sustainable Connections and give to local charities through our We’re Thankful We’re Giving program.